Thursday, February 16, 2006


I like this picture a lot, but think that it's because of the circumstances around the day I took it rather than the photo itself. I had planned to go to Flaming Gorge with some friends to celebrate the 4th of July a few years ago. The only problem was that there was a forest fire at the time, and they had to evacuate the town of Dutch John as the fire had gotten close enough to put people in danger. The first day that they let people return to their homes we decided to go up and take a look. They were only letting people from Dutch John go up on the mountain. Luckily my friend's parents still lived there, so when they checked us to make sure our name was on the list of people to be allowed through the roadblock, he gave them his and they let us in. Of course we decided to drive around and take a look at the damage, at least as much as we could without getting into trouble with the local law enforcement. I just happened to get this shot of a Forest Service fire truck in action while we were doing so. I feel that I kind of got away with something that day, and this picture serves as a reminder of that.

No comments: